Tom Bolmer's Tasks and Skills
Tasks and Accomplishments over the years
- Responsible for installation, operation, troubleshooting, repair and management of two
different UNIX platforms, several macs, and associated peripherals.
- Systems I used to manage:
- OSF/1 (Digital Unix)
- SUNOS 4+
- Manage shipping to and from the experiment site and set up of computers for:
- a VSP in Michigan in January 1989.
- for LFASE on the R/V MELVILLE in August and September 1989.
- for B3S2 Pinon Flat Borehole tests in October 1994.
- Assist in shipping to and from the experiment site and set up of computers for:
- for NATRE HRP cruise on R/V OCEANUS Marach and April 1993.
- for CIRFZ HRP cruise on R/V La NOROIT November 1994.
- for BBTRE1 HRP cruise on R/V SEWARD JOHNSON December 1995 to February 1996.
- for BBTRE2 HRP cruise on R/V SEWARD JOHNSON March 1997 to April 1997.
- Maintain 5 Macintosh computers in the borehole group.
- Code for and process with seismic analysis and related programs.
- Converted VMS Fortran software to full functionality on Unix computers.
- Ported and integrated new UNIX applications into the group's processing proceedures.
- Developed a library of programs to output postscript format files instead of WHOI
plot-defer format files to take advantage of newer laser printers.
- Design, write, modify, and document software for processing and analysis of data to meet
the changing needs of different experiments and programs.
- Prepare graphics for publications and proposals, and documentation of experimental
- Transcribe, archive, and distribute ROSE formatted data from LFASE, SOBO, CRSE and several
- Responsible for archiving Oblique Seismic Experiment (O.S.E.) data.
- Physical Oceanographic operations:
- Operate CTD on AMASSEDS cruise, and assist with all aspects of the work of the cruise.
- Program HRP for deployments and download data from dives.
- Write and change Tracer Release processing programs at sea for NATRE Sampling.
- Write fromt end GUI tool in Tk/Tcl for HRP processing.
- Write fromt end GUI tool in MATLAB for OBH/ORB transcriptions.
- FINITE DIFFERENCE PROCESSING:
- Write code for color presentation of Finite Difference snapshots.
- This started with DISSPLA and UNIRAS programs on the VAX.
- It has included C code to create bit map plots
- currently includs a MATLAB GUI tool to use MATLAB to plot snapshots.
- Create program to make movies from Synthethic Seismogram program for display using MPEG
PLAY on group's Homepage.
- Update, create and operate CalComp and Postscript Fortran programs for displaying
Synthethic Seismogram Time Series.
- OMD Data Synthesis Project
- Compiled and processed digitized Seismic Stratigraphic Values.
- Key punched, edited, profiled, and merged with Navigation 150 Continuous Seismic Profile
- Authorship on Seismic Stratigraphy, Geologic and Paleo-lithology maps of East Coast
involving stages from interpretation to final drafts for publication.
- Involved in synthesis of Magnetics and Bathemetry of East Coast and Middle Atlantic Ridge
- Fortran and C Programming
- TK / TCL Progamming
- PERL Progamming
- MATLAB Scripting
- UNIX Scripting
- Operating Systems (Both as System Manager and User):
- At present
- Management of Macintosh computer network and systems.
- OSF/1 (Digital Unix)
- Extensive use of VAX VMS, both as user and system manager.
- Management of Group's data archives.
- Expert user of the following graphics packages:
- (in the past) CalComp, Disspla, Uniras
- WHOI certified SCUBA and Surface supplied diver.
- Use of Oceanographic shipboard sampling equipment and data collecting:
- CTD, XBT
- Water sampling techniques
- Echo Sounders
- Seismic displays and Recording
- Shot instant recording
- Navigation techniques
- Deployment and recovery techniques
This page was created by Tom Bolmer.
send comments and questions to:
Last Modified 10/30/00